Safety Rules for UpRight Scaffold
ELECTROCUTION HAZARD. This is a metal scaffold and its components can conduct electricity. DO NOT use near energized electrical circuits. Serious injury or death will result if contact is made.
NEVER use damaged or broken Instant UpRight scaffolds, parts or components.
NEVER use improperly erected Instant UpRight scaffolds. (UpRight Manual in EXTRAS)
NEVER use scaffold components from other manufacturers with Instant UpRight Scaffolds. Intermixing components from different manufacturers could be hazardous. (OSHA Regulations # 1926.451(b)(10)
ALWAYS check and be sure the scaffold is level at all times, the leg locks are properly adjusted and locked.
ALWAYS lock all four caster brakes before climbing the scaffold or placing materials on the scaffold platform.
.ALWAYS make sure all locking hooks and pins are firmly in position and latches/pins are properly engaged. Never force locking hooks or pins when they are being installed or removed from the scaffold. (see Manuals Page)
ALWAYS check and make sure that all folding brace locking hinges are properly locked and secure before climbing the scaffold or placing materials on the scaffold platform. (see Manuals Page).
ALWAYS check and make sure interlock clips are properly inserted when extension end frames are used (see Manuals Page).
NEVER use damaged or broken interlock clips ALWAYS use at least two diagonal braces and one horizontal brace properly installed on each weight-bearing section of Single-Width Span Scaffold. Double Width Span Scaffolds require double bracing.
NEVER install a horizontal brace at the same level as the intersection of diagonal braces.
ALWAYS use (4) four OUTRIGGERS if the platform height will exceed three times any minimum base dimension (Manuals Page). Platform height must never exceed three times the min. base dimension.
ALWAYS install GUARDRAILS on single-width scaffolds and on double-width scaffolds. Always check State, Federal and Local Codes and Regulations for additional requirements.
ALWAYS install TOEBOARDS when platform height is 10ft (3m) and above. Check State and Local Codes and Regulations for additional requirements.
NEVER increase platform height with the adjustable legs. Use leg adjustment for leveling the scaffold.
NEVER stand on or place materials on the guardrails or use any part of the guardrail to gain extra height.
NEVER place ladders chairs, boxes or any other objects on a scaffold platform to gain additional height. When additional height is required, add more scaffold sections.
NEVER lean a ladder against a scaffold.
NEVER climb or stand on diagonal or horizontal braces.
NEVER move a scaffold when any person or materials are on the platform (see OSHA 1910.281A51).
NEVER try to pull yourself or the scaffold from one place to another while on the platform. ALWAYS climb down from the platform and re-position the scaffold.
NEVER climb a Span Scaffold which does not have at least two diagonal braces and one horizontal brace properly installed in the bottom section. Double Width Spans require double bracing.
Stop Falls www.osha.gov/stopfalls/
GENERAL SAFETY RULES (List Two)
- Be sure the scaffold is level at all times. When a leg is adjusted, be sure to push the locking collar completely over the expanding nut and below the safety locks. (See instructions below.) Never make leg adjustments when anyone is on the scaffold.
- Don’t try to “stretch” the platform height with the adjustable legs. When additional height is required, add more scaffold sections. Save the leg adjustment for leveling the scaffold.
- Never lean a ladder against a scaffold. Never place a ladder on the platform of a scaffold. Never push or pull or lean against the wall or ceiling when standing or sitting on a scaffold, unless it is securely tied-in to the building.
- Make sure all locking hooks are firmly in position and that the spring-loaded locking pins have functioned properly. These hooks appear at each end of separate horizontal and diagonal braces and at the upper end of stairways.
- Before using a scaffold with folding braces, be sure that the latches of all locking hinges are locked (see page 2 for details).
- Always install a safety railing & toeboards when a platform is to be used at heights of 4 ft. (1.2 m.) or over on single width span scaffolds, and 71/2 ft. (2.3 m.) or over on double width span scaffolds.
- When the height of a scaffold platform is going to exceed three (3) times the minimum base dimension, the base must be enlarged by using Outboard Supports, Wideners or Outriggers, or the scaffold must be tied-in to the building.
- Do not climb on or stand on diagonal braces. Work only while standing on one of the platforms. When climbing the scaffold lower end frame, be careful to go over the top to get to the platform. Never swing around the outside of the ladder.
- Never use any scaffold in the vicinity of live electrical apparatus or near machinery in operation.
- The columns of each scaffold section are furnished with interlock clips parked in the lower of a pair of holes at the upper ends. As an upper section is inserted, the interlock clips of the section below are moved to the upper of the two holes, engaging the matching holes in the upper section bushings, interlocking the two sections. Never erect a scaffold without interlocking the sections in this manner. If interlock clips are damaged or lost, replace them immediately.
If in doubt as to the ability of an Up-Right scaffold to handle any particular job, write or telephone for instructions. Don’t take chances.
e-mail: [email protected]